EasterMaundy Thursday and Good Friday services are held in conjunction with neighboring Third Presbyterian Church. A Sunrise Service has been a specialty of the Olivet congregation for many years with a church member speaking at the service. A breakfast follows in the Fellowship Hall. An Egg Hunt is held on the lawn the Saturday before Easter for the younger Sunday school classes.
ChristmasA Christmas Cantata is presented each December with the choir from the Staunton Church of the Brethren joining Olivet’s choir. It is performed at both churches on separate Sundays. Our Christmas Eve Candlelight Service is a simple and beautiful service that night which allows us all to exhale from the flurry of the season and prepare ourselves and focus on the genuine spirit of Christmas.
Church SuppersCovered dish suppers can happen anytime for any reason. Eating is a social habit at Olivet! And Coffee and donuts follow the services the third Sunday of each month. Casual Sundays may take place in June, July, and August. Members come in shorts and tees with food galore and have lunch at the picnic shelter on the back lawn.
Pulpit SwapsOlivet joins in a Pulpit Swap with other local churches twice a year.
Vacation Bible SchoolVacation Bible School is held each summer for elementary aged students.
Baja Mission TripMember participation as well as fundraisers.
Local Charities & Special EventsThe Olivet congregation is active year around with charities and special events:
• The JOY (Just Older Youth) Club meets once a year and is served by the Women of the Church
• Rally Day is held each September and capped with a church-wide picnic
• A special woman from the congregation is honored annually with the Women’s Honorary Lifetime Membership
• A Four-Cents-A-Meal offering is collected by the youth the last Sunday of each month
• Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes are gathered by all ages
• A church-wide yard sale is held on the parking lot each summer with proceeds going to different charities in the community
• Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets are filled and delivered to the needy
• The Disaster Relief Fund --- a branch of the Red Cross
• Soles 4 Souls --- National charity that collected shoes for Haiti
• Boxes are filled with school supplies for students in need throughout the city and county
• A chicken barbeque raises money for the local Weekday Religious Education (WRE)
• The Olivet minister joins other pastors in the area on a seasonal radio show that raises money and buys gifts for a children’s Christmas party sponsored by the Salvation Army. The congregation supports this event with their call-in pledges.
• There are church workdays (Saturdays) in the spring and fall when members join in with their trucks, tools, and muscle, taking care of any grounds keeping that may be needed.
• Trees for Hospice
• SACRA – Staunton Augusta Church Relief association
• Habit for Humanity
• Living Waters for the World --- Installing water filtration systems in Guatemala